Thursday, February 23, 2017

#RemixedUPJ


 This post is all about creating memes out of someone else's work; combining two different works together to make an entirely new one. It was rather difficult to choose from the limited amount of works that we had to. My class had to look under the hashtag #remixupj and use an image or text from another person and mash them up meme style. 

 

In today's day in age memes are a form of expression using real life experiences with humorous pictures as their backdrop. Most of the time both text and image are stolen, but sometimes the text is stolen and put on top of an original image, the text is original and the image is stolen, or both are original. Originality in my generation is creativity of the unoriginal, therefore, finding a way to present unoriginal information or ideas in a new way or form, which makes the piece new and original. More or less mashups can be original even though they are made from unoriginal pieces, they are still presented differently in a new and unique way. 


It was rather difficult to create memes out of the images and pieces of text given to use. I was very limited and, so I had to be very creative in how I presented the two together. Putting random pieces of text with random images was fun. I pretty much took two pieces that would seem very humorous to myself and hopefully others and then mashed them up. If I saw something serious as text and something humorous as an image I put them together. 


I tried to maintain my originality by quickly putting two pieces that seemed to fit well together. I imagined the memes I would normally see on social media and then mashed up what fit to that form. Originality with this type of culture would mean something very new, that has never been heard before using unoriginal works. If a song mashup uses unique songs that another DJ has never used together, it would feel more original, so memes would rather be seen as different meanings, using one feeling of text with the same picture would be more original than using the same text on multiple images. 


No comments:

Post a Comment