Saturday, April 22, 2017

UPJ Voices - Final Thoughts


Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and natureI choose this scenario as my final project, because I want to make a change, especially on college campuses. People are constantly making assumptions about a passing conversation or what their friend may have heard across the room. Gossip can ruin a person’s life and before gossip is spread like wildfire, get the facts first. I want people to stop making things sound worse than they really are, because anything you hear could quite possibly be about anything else except what you are thinking. It is important to listen and understand than to start something new and wrong.
Conversations are an essential part of communication between many types of people whether that be friends, colleagues, employers and more. My project consists of myself going to the three places on campus that I frequent most often. I sat in a convenient place in the area where conversation was occurring most. I spark noted as much of what I was hearing around as quickly as possible and did this for thirty minutes. I then created a Facebook page to post each quote. I wanted to open people’s eyes to what this situation may actually look like.
I will be using Facebook as my main digital device. I have made a page called UPJ Voices, where I will post each quote that I heard from each place and then make a negative assumption based on just that piece of information. This will create a negative connotation from that small quote that should not have been made, because so many other pieces of information are missing. The quote could really mean anything, but basing it off the tone of voice, the person saying it, and where the conversation is happening can create a host of problems.
My project is collaborative, location-based, and non-linear. It is collaborative, because I am consuming what other people are saying around me and my own thoughts. It is location-based, because I have to sit in various places on campus to receive the information I need. It is also non-linear, because there is no clear story, but a series of phrases that do not link together much. Together, they create a multi-digital idea that can hopefully send a message.
 I wanted to do this project, because college is a cruel place at times and conversations are almost never private. Not to mention that most of what is talked about on a college campus is usually gossip or trash talk about other people or situations, because it is a college campus. Then with all the gossip currently being talked about, more is created. The situation is like the game telephone where someone hears one thing then another and passes it around. I want people to stop and think about what they hear before the assume the worst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment